this course intends to improve learners’ ability to negotiate successfully – a critical competency in both work and life situations. It will equip them with a range of communication, interpersonal skills, and appreciation of the elements of planning and objective setting in negotiations. There will be an opportunity for learners to carry out a self-assessment of their skills in key areas of negotiation including team negotiations.
This course covers the key stages of negotiation, considers how disputes arise, and provides learners with the skills to follow a structured process. The learners will be introduced to different negotiation styles, tactics and at the same time learn how to recognise and counter them.
The course will highlight:
- The key stages in the negotiation process.
- The terms associated with the strategy for negotiation.
- Tactics and ploys which may be used against you in negotiation.
- The importance of team dynamics when negotiating.
- Powerful negotiation strategies during practical exercises.
- Demonstrate the comprehension of the significance of planning and objective setting.
- Describe how to achieve ‘win-win’ results within the bargaining procedure.
- Identify the causes of disagreements & disputes.
- Comprehend the impact dispute may have on relationships over the long term.
- Describe the utilisation of strategies to resolve the causes of disputes.
Basics of Negotiation
the meaning of Negotiation.
- Disputes and the need for resolution.
- Place of negotiation in the contractual resolution process.
- Commercial impact of the breakdown of negotiations.
- Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA).
- The four-phase process of negotiation.
The Negotiator’s Toolbox
- Information needs.
- Drafting your proposition which will open the discussion.
- The negotiation discussion phase.
- Bargain and Close.
- Negotiating position setting.
Negotiating Styles, Tactics and Ploys
Cultural & international issues.
- Red, Purple & Blue negotiators.
- Non-verbal communication and the interpretation of body language.
- the time is your friend.
- Silence and ploys as tactics and how to respond effectively.
Personal Fitness and Dealing with Difficult Negotiations
- Interests, positions and escalation.
- Stakeholder power behind the interests in negotiation.
- Negotiator as a Mediator.
- Team negotiations.
- Proposals and persuasion.
Putting it all into practice
Negotiation case study.
- Team allocation and simulation exercise.
- Analysis of performance.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Negotiating.
- Improving what we do – action planning.