Public sector budgeting is essentially about making the right spending choices for the public in terms of service provision and infrastructure development. The course covers all aspects of the budget process, from budget formulation to implementation, including budget monitoring and the control. The course will equip delegates with the skills and knowledge needed to ensure budgets are robust and deliver the right outcomes for the public.
- Course delivered by public sector budget experts with many years UK experience.
- Gain skills on how to prepare a robust budget and business plan.
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of the budget process.
- Monitor/ manage budgets including the capital programme.
- Scrutinize budget proposals and reports.
- Improve budget delivery and implementation.
- Understand different budgeting methodologies, including pros and cons.
- Improve decision making, accountability and transparency in budget reporting.
Building a robust budget
- Forecasting income and expenditure.
- Making budgets more resilient.
- Linking budgets with medium term strategic plans.
- Developing performance indicators.
- Addressing systemic corruption in the budgeting process.
Key budgeting methodologies
- Results based budgeting, Incremental budgeting, Zero-based budgeting, Activity-based budgeting.
Implementing the budget
- Managing and monitoring budget implementation
- Reporting performance: re-current and capital programme
- Scrutinising performance and dealing with budget variances
Budget administration – Strengthening Corporate Governance
- Developing action plans, including budget guidelines and timetables.
- Improving communication and stakeholder management
Best practice in budget reporting
- Re-current expenditure and capital programme reports
- Subjective/ Objective analysis reporting formats.