Monday 27 Apr 2020
- Duration: One Week
- City: London
- Fees: 3800 GBP
Monday 27 Apr 2020
This intensive course will highlight how the world’s most successful companies manage multiple-shift and 24-hour operations to deliver world-class people and process performance.
All industries are highly competitive so in order to compete successfully, 24-hour operations must continuously improve to achieve the highest possible standards at all times.
For a facility to operate safely and efficiently 24/7, it is important to apply shift working best practices. Multiple-shift operation poses a challenge because of the potential for fatigue and disconnects caused by the fact that the personnel are changing every few hours.
This can result in a significantly increased risk of incidents and operational problems such as reduced throughput, poor communication and increased levels of waste.
– Recognize and appreciate the issues associated with 24/7 shift operation.
– Identify strategies to deal with the issues.
– Benchmark your performance against that of world-class facilities & explore alternative shift schedules.
– Build up effective Shift Supervisors.
– Create an Action Plan for continuous improvement back at work.
Comprehending the issues associated with shift working
– Shift Working Self-Assessment – How does your operation measure up?
– Continuity of operation and Consistency of approach.
– Benchmarking against world-class operations.
– Shift-to-shift handover.
– Fatigue and its consequences and other People issues.
Sharing the specific issues of the course delegates
Effective Communications, Effective Shift Handover & Continuity of Operation
– Deliver effective management communication to all shifts.
– Improve shift leader-team communications.
– Develop effective interfaces across shifts.
– Best practices for effective shift handover and Start of shift meetings.
– Effective standard operating procedures.
– Training and developing Shift Teams.
Developing Effective Shift Supervisors, Continuous Improvement/Kaizen in 24-Hour Operations
– Evolution of the role of supervisor.
– Training and developing effective supervisors .
– Benchmarking performance of supervisors.
– Understanding CI.
– Workplace organization, 5S and TPS.
– Management visibility/GEMBA.
Dealing with Fatigue, Pros and Cons of Different Shift Systems
– The body clock and circadian rhythms.
– Causes of fatigue & Fatigue Countermeasures.
– History of shift working.
– Alternative Shift Schedules.
– Analysis of delegates’ shift schedules and issues.
Dealing with People Issues on Shift
– Managing performance.
– Dealing with poor performance.
– Improving Motivation and Counselling.
– Consistency of approach.
Applying the Learning – Group Vision and Action Plan