A properly structured and effective performance appraisal process will require a range of techniques including agreeing objectives, reviewing and monitoring performance, giving feedback, coaching, training and development and of course, the appraisal itself. This cutting-edge course will demonstrate how these techniques link taking into consideration the best practice in appraisal systems and the multi-cultural environment.
This course will highlight both the theoretical and the practical. The course also focuses on effective performance and feedback – integrating this with current Talent Management principles. There will be a practical skills workshop conducted each day where what has been learned will be put into practice.
- Identify various types of performance appraisal systems.
- Describe the role of performance appraisal from an individual’s and organisation’s point-of-view.
- Create a plan for the effective utilisation of an appraisal system.
- Question the role of performance appraisal in a multi-cultural environment.
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of various appraisal methods.
The Role of Assessment & Appraisal
- Why have an assessment & appraisal?
- What is appraised?
- The purposes of performance appraisal.
- Trends in assessment & appraisal.
- The ethics of appraising people.
- The problems of conflicting objectives.
Implementing a Successful Appraisal Scheme
- Formal Vs Informal systems.
- Who does the appraisal and who should be appraised?
- Getting top management support.
- Preparing a policy statement.
- Instructions to appraisers.
- Checklist – preparing and implementing a formal appraisal scheme.
Kinds of Appraisal
- Ranking, Critical incident, Forced choice and Narrative methods.
- Management by Objectives (MBO).
- Behaviourally Anchored Rating Scales (BARS).
- Behavioural Observation Scales (BOS).
- Deciding which type to use.
- Overcoming problems in ratings.
Key Issues in Performance Appraisal & Assessment
- Evaluation Centres and Appraisal.
- Performance Appraisal in a Multi-Cultural Setting.
- Best practice in assisting with employee personal problems (EAP)
- Talent Management & Succession Planning links.
- Evaluation and review of the system.
- Personal Action Planning.
The Appraisal Interview
- Common reasons for failure and mistakes made.
- Communication skills for appraisal (Questioning and Listening).
- Hints on interviewing.
- Planning & Preparing for an Appraisal interview.
- Emotional Intelligence & Feedback.
- Practice appraisal interviews – role plays.