Hazardous waste management is the reduction of amount of hazardous substances which are produced, reducing the toxicity of the hazardous waste and applying techniques/methods to reduce the exposure to waste.
To prevent environment contamination, proper storage of hazardous chemicals , proper inspection of the containment materials and using non-hazardous products are important.
The hazards to health of humans are referred in medical terms as toxicity, and hazardous waste can be of different forms like water contamination, air pollution, food contamination, construction … etc.
This course will provide the knowledge to differentiate between a hazardous and non-hazardous waste and how to prevent it and protect the environment.
- To understand the different forms of contamination and discussing which countries are contaminated and what kind of contamination
- To understand the methodology of contamination
- To understand the environment policies preventing the contamination
- To understand the relationship between human health and contaminated environment
- To understand the prevention of contaminated soil, ground water, air.
Why should you take this course?
Environment contamination has become a major issue and everyone is aware of its effects/consequences.
Recycling of hazardous waste is an “upcoming industry” and if you want to be a part of this Future, then taking this course will make you capable of working in this industry or becoming an “Entrepreneur” and starting your own company.
Introduction to hazardous waste
- Understand “Contamination” and it’s different types and its affects
- Environment issues globally with different types of contamination
- International treaty and guidelines relating to contamination
- Role of United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)
- “THE DIRTY DOZEN” -12 toxic chemical affecting the environment
Hazardous and non-hazardous waste
- Difference between hazardous and non-hazardous waste
- Relationship between contamination and hazardous waste
- Correlation between health and safety with contamination
- Importance of “WHMIS”-Workplace hazardous materials information system
- Importance of “MSDS”-Material Safety Data Sheet
- “Why do we need the prevention of hazardous waste”?, and
- “Why do we need a waste disposal site”?
- “How big area should be a waste disposal site”?
Contamination and Prevention
- Case studies on oil spills
- New design methods to reduce the oil spilling
- Pollution related to oil
- Importance of “ZW”-zero waste and “ZLD”-zero liquid discharge
- New technologies to prevent the pollution caused by “BIRD’S”
Planning for Major Accidents
- The concept of 5R’s –Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover and Rethink
- Stepwise planning on proper storage of hazardous materials
- Study of IS0 14001,18001 and 9001
- Learning to Environmental auditing
- “How to manage the materials used in production in a company/organization”
Review of HAZID and HAZOP
- Methodology of HAZID (hazard identification)
- Methodology of HAZOP (hazard operations)
- Requirement of ethics in environment
- Examples of real life situations
- Case studies on climate change and its affects
- Review of whole week and “Question and Answer session”