What is Warehouse Management?
Warehouse management is the department specialized in keeping and taking care of inventory. It concerns about everything related to warehouses and follow storage conditions in terms of the appropriate storage method, the spaces inside the warehouse and corridors, transportation and ways of receipt and inspection, expiry dates and validity and secure the warehouse and assign staff inside it.
– Keeping materials: storing and arranging goods in warehouses from entering phase into the discharge.
– Preservation of materials: take care of the materials from damage and keep them safe and viable to use according to the conditions followed in storing.
The Objectives of the Warehouse Management Department:
1- Review the receipt of materials that need to be stored.
2- Ensure that items inside the warehouse are according to the quantities of demand.
3- Keep goods from lost or damage.
4- Arrange the allocated storage areas inside the warehouse.
5- Reduce storage costs and utilize space.
6- Monitor the presence and departure of employees and their good appearance.
7- Coordinate the warehouse security and safety methods.
8- Provide vans to deliver goods to the required destinations.
9- Provide raw materials to the production department.
Accounting Cycle in Warehouse Management:
The main objective of the warehouse management is utilizing the floor to ensure easy arrangement of inventory while the flow of goods to and from the warehouse.
The accounting cycle includes the following papers:
– Operating permission
– Permission to add
– Item earnings report
– Inventory report
Terms to Achieve Warehouse Management:
1- Distinguish items by printing bar-code on them.
2- Check the items before entering the warehouse to ensure their safety.
3- Review the quantity, quality and suitability of using goods.
4- Ensure goods in accordance with the specifications in terms of packaging and transportation.
5- Recording the operation of transport and entry of goods.
6- Minimize storage cost and ensure that there is no over-storage or vice versa.
7- Matching security and safety procedures.
8- Ensure that the employees work properly and orderly and the entry and exit powers for each one.
9- Provide periodic reports of the status of warehouses to the management.
Lack of good warehouse management lead to many problems including:
- Inventory damage: It exposes the facility to significant losses.
- Production halted: This is due to a lack of production of goods and raw materials in time.
- Increase of goods accumulated within the warehouse: due to the failure to study the levels of goods and the appropriate quantities for storage to order.
There are many types of warehouses according to the field of the establishment. They may be owned or temporarily rented and close to the market for easy exit and distribution of goods.
– Equipment Stores and Spare Parts: such as engines, generators, stairs, shelves, etc.
– Fuel stores: they have fuel for vans or machinery.
– Raw Materials Stores: they are close to production areas where priority materials used for the production department are available such as iron, glass and timber.
– Stores of Packaging Materials: such as plastic, cartons, paper and other materials.
– Warehouses for Miscellaneous Materials: such as clothing stores, supermarket, electrical appliances, office tools, cleaning tools, etc.
– Cooling Warehouses: they are for refrigeration-based projects for food storage.
– Customs Warehouses: this type is usually used at airports and ports where imported goods are kept until their customs value is paid and then allowed to be transported to warehouses.
– Record Repositories: where documents of the establishment are recorded, such as financial documents, invoices and important papers. They are often used by banks, stock exchange companies and financial institutions.
Storage Methods in Warehouse:
– It must be appropriate for the type of stored material.
– The place should have ventilation and lighting.
– Provide electrical connections.
– Availability of the necessary methods for easy transport and circulation of belongings.
– Complete cleaning of the warehouse.
Make iron racks and shelves suitable for stored materials.-
– Public safety.
– Taking into account safety methods for warehouse employees.
– Training of personnel about protection, safety and firefighting.
Ways to Arrange in Warehouses:
– Put bar-code for each item.
– Classify items.
– Use an accounting system to register items.
– Properly receive and arrange goods to avoid damage.
– Optimal use of spaces.
– Full control of the warehouse.
– Make periodic and annual inventory.
Online Warehouse Program:
You can professionally manage warehouses online and directly using the best accounting software. It helps by the following:
– Enables you to manage all your stores and branch stores and connect them together.
– Make warehouse permissions in simple steps (add-operate)
– Make inventory of stores easily.
-Print bar-code on the goods inside the warehouse.
– Detection of items, date of expiry and quantity.
– Switching between stores easily.
– Saves you the number of accounting papers that you use.
– Adding descriptions to inventory through the barcode device and recording them within the program.
– Quickly update and price item data.
– Link warehouse management to procurement and sales management.
Full control of your warehouse.-
– Monitoring the movements of the employees.
– The possibility to link it with the attendance and departure system to calculate the salaries of employees.
– Your warehouse will be arranged using bar-code.
– Analysis of suppliers and customers for each store.
If you have any question or you want to improve your skills and attending warehouse management course please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org